Mr. Alok Ranjan
An ace administrator, thought provoking author and a distinguished public speaker, Mr. Alok Ranjan has retired as the Chief Secretary of Uttar Pradesh (Executive head of the state) and is an IIM Ahmedabad alumnus who has great knowledge about public policies & management.
Mr. Alok Ranjan being someone who has years of distinguished experience cutting across a wide variety of sectors concerned with economics, finance, industrial governance and others, he has always worked to bring change for the welfare of the nation and its people. His openness to sharing his learning, experiences, knowledge and wisdom through articles, talk sessions, columns, blogs, and other forms has been well praised and appreciated.
He has been invited by dignified institutions like Indian Institute of Management Lucknow, Jaipuria Institute of Management, Uttar Pradesh Academy of Administration, CII (Confederation of Indian Industry), PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry and similar many more to conduct talk sessions and to be a thought leader and speaker for various educational and business forums.
He is also known for sharing his views and perceptions through articles and columns published in leading national publications such as Times of India, Economic Times, Business Standard, HT and The Millennium Post.
Indian Administrative Services (U.P Cadre): U.P.S.C All India Rank – 4th – 1978.
Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad: MBA – 1976
St. Stephens College, Delhi University: B.A (Hon.)
Current Academic Associations
- Member of Executive Committee – Bennett Coleman UniversityMember of the Court – Shiv Nadar UniversityMember Academic Council – Jaipuria Institite of ManagementVisiting Professor - IIM LucknowDistinguished Adjunct Professor – Jaipuria Institute of Management, Lucknow
Current Executive Positions
- Advisor – PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry: Advising the PHD chamber of Commerce and Industry in all their initiatives associated with industry, trade and entrepreneurship.Chairman - Policy Think Tank : Advising the government on various aspects of policy formulation and implementation.Director on the board of – Shriram Pistons & Rings Ltd.Director on the board of – EdutestChairman - Dr. A.P.J Abdul Kalam Foundation: Leading the organization dedicated to spreading the ideals and values of late Indian president Dr. Kalam.Chairman - Indo Latin Chamber of CommerceChief Patron – Small Industries Manufacturers Association (SIMA)
Current Work (As writer)
- Author of columns and articles in leading Indian publications such as Times of India, Economic Times, HT, Business Standard, Governance Now.Currently writing a Fortnightly Column for “THE MILLENNIUM POST” daily newspaper published from Delhi and Kolkata.
Chief Secretary of Uttar Pradesh (Executive Head of the State)
- Responsible for the overall administration, Policy, development and law & order management of the state.Introduced a work culture of accessibility, transparency, integrity and result orientation leading to efficient and timely implementation of all development projects.Conceptualized and executed the Lucknow Metro Rail project within a record span of 26 months.Completed the 302 Km long, Lucknow – Agra expressway in record time of 22 months.Initiated and implemented the Gomti Riverfront Development project. (One of its kind in the country)Instrumental in the Development of IT City which brought the IT Sector to Lucknow.Implemented Energy sector reforms which transformed U.P from a power deficit state to one with 24 hours power supply in urban areas and 16 hours in rural areas.Successfully handled natural calamities and drought in the state with multiple key measures.Implemented the largest social welfare scheme – Samajwadi Pension Scheme covering 55 lac families.Instrumental in the Development of state of the art, Cancer Hospital in Lucknow.Successfully launched and executed the Lohia village development scheme leading to the all-round development of over 10K villages.Launched the 'Dial 108 program', providing free ambulance service within 20 minutes, anywhere across the state.Revamped the complete infrastructure and operations of 'Dial 100 program' ensuring police assistance within 15 minutes.Launched the women helpline - 1090 to tackle harassment and crime against women.
Infrastructure and Industrial Development Commissioner
- Successfully implemented the industrial policy and held several investment meets to get over Rs.80,000 Crore MOU’s signed for investment in U.P.Introduced and implemented the Single Window System for industries.
Agriculture Production Commissioner
- Improved agricultural productivity in the entire state and ensured zero shortage of seeds and fertilizers.Conceptualized and initiated the successful Kamdhenu Dairy Scheme and Poultry scheme which brought about breed improvement and enhanced the income of the farmers.
Principal Secretary Urban Development and Environment
- Successfully implemented multiple projects under Jawaharlal Nehru Urban Renewal Mission and National Ganga River Authority. (for enhancing solid waste management, water supply , sewage treatment)Implemented key Municipal Reforms such as automation and digitization of the Property Tax in UP and introduction of double entry accounting system in municipal services.
Principal Secretary, Technical & Vocational Education
- Brought about examination and curriculum reforms.Implemented faculty development and virtual class room projects to enhance quality of technical education.
Managing Director NAFED (National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India)
- Increased turnover from 1400 Cr. to 7000 Cr by incorporating best management practices and leadership
Joint Secretary, Defense, Government of India
- Responsible for the complete administration and management of Indian Navy, Coastguards and Army Ordinance
Secretary to Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh
- Was responsible for overseeing and managing key government departments such as Law & Order, Industry and Education, Energy, Urban Development and Housing.Instrumental in implementing Energy reforms including the unbundling of the UP State Electricity board into 4 corporations for enhancing efficiency and profitability.
- Conceived and implemented the computerization of UP Treasuries. (First of its kind in India)Automated and computerized the complete budget process
Secretary, Basic and Adult Education
- Ensured the construction of over 20,000 primary schools in the State of U.PRecognized by World Bank for the best implementation of its `Education for all’ project across India
District Magistrate, Allahabad
- Started Janta adalat system for addressing public grievances which was later adopted by the state as a standard practiceSuccessfully conducted the Assembly elections of U.P.
District Magistrate, Agra
- Recognized at the national and international level for being the first state in U.P to successfully implement the Total Literacy campaign for Adult literacy. (Made 5.5 lac adults literate)Initiated the first ever computerization of land records which was then used as a model for the whole stateConceived and implemented Taj Mahotsav which has since then become an international tourism event
District Magistrate, Ghaziabad
- Did extensive work to improve the Law and Order of the district by taking action against mafias which was also recognized by various national media publications such as India Today.
District Magistrate, Banda
- Successfully conducted the parliament and assembly elections and used time and motion study to be first in the state to declare results
Additional Director, Industries
- Successfully implemented the rate contract system for Small and Medium Industries.
Municipal Commissioner Allahabad & Vice Chairman Allahabad Development Authority
- Instrumental in successfully organizing the Mahakumbh of 1989Conceptualized and developed several beautiful parks ex. Nehru Park, Bharadwaj Ashram Park and developed Saraswati and Rasulabad ghats.
Managing Director, U.P State Spinning Mills Corporation, Kanpur
- Enhanced profitability of operation by maximizing capacity utilization and productivity
District Magistrate, Gazipur
- Very successful implementation of rural development programs like – National rural employment program.Ensured that the district ranked in the top 10 in the state and was awarded gold medal for achieving targets under family planning and national small savings
General Manager, UP State Cement Corporation, Mirzapur
- Commissioned the new wet process cement plant and brought about record capacity utilization and production.